Friday, January 27, 2012

Christmas Dining Room - Patio Awning

As I posted earlier, we hosted the Krause Family for Christmas Dinner this year.  We've held our past few gatherings at our church because there are really too many of us to fit in a home.  But Christmas was on Sunday this year and having our gathering at church wasn't going to work, so we offered our home.  I wasn't sure where we'd put everyone, but figured we'd just make it work.  I knew I could seat that many in my house, but once all the tables and chairs are set up, there's not much room left for mingling.
I looked out my family room window and thought, 'hmmm, the patio would be the perfect place if I could enclose it and make it warm."  Well, you know me, when I get an idea I usually find a way to make it work.  I first looked online at premade patio awnings, but the cost of these types were nowhere near the budget I had in mind.  
So I put on my creative hat and gathered a few supplies...
I bought six 8-foot tarps for $4.99 each at Walmart.  The 8-foot side would be the width.

I bought three of these 9-foot heavy-duty clear vinyl tablecloths at Walmart for $8.99 each.  I also purchase 2 rolls of tarp tape (a type of duct tape) and some velcro.
I cut the tarps about 2 1/2 feet from the top edge and I cut the clear vinyl pieces in half.
I inserted the clear vinyl in between the cut pieces of tarp -- then put it all back together with the tarp tape.  (To keep things straight and aligned during the assembly process, we did this on the kitchen tiled floor and used the grout lines as our grid.) 
Once assembled, we hung cup hooks on the inside edge of the eaves and used pieces of velcro to connect tarps one to another and to close all the gaps. 
When all was said and done, it worked perfectly!  If I had known it was going to turn out this well, I would have spent a little more on the tarps and bought a more neutral color -- but at the time, I was looking for cheap and functional. 


These pictures were taken after the fact -- wish I would have taken some pictures when the tables were set and everyone was sitting around the tables, but maybe next time.  We put a few heaters out there and we were very comfortable.  Putting them up and taking them down took only about 15 minutes and total cost of my patio awning was about $75.00.  And it comforably seats 30.

No comments: