Thursday, August 26, 2010

I couldnt stand it...

Ijust couldn't stand the thought of being home alone while Danny was at Avery's, so I did what any desperate Grammy would do -- found a way to fulfill my obligations at work and still get there. I figured these were my options:
Option #1 - Drive. I really didn't want to drive because I wanted to ride home with Danny.
Option #2 - Greyhound Bus. Andrew has done this one before and he quickly ruled it out as an option for me. He said "No, Mom."
Option #3 - Amtrak. They have a connector bus between Bako and LA. I tried to buy a ticket on line, but it wouldn't let me. So I called Amtrak and here's what I learned...
The State of California won't allow Amtrak to sell only the bus leg of a trip - you have to include a train leg of the trip because they are a train company not a bus company. "Ok, no prob" I say. "Can I buy a ticket from Wasco to Burbank but get on in Bako?". Well, yes I can, if I ACCIDENTALLY MISS the train in Wasco I can catch the bus in Bako. The only catch is that I must have possession of my ticket before the train leaves Wasco or they will cancel my reservation. So I went to the train station yesterday and purchased my ticket - for 14.00. Turns out I don't have to ACCIDENTALLY MISS the train in Wasco, I can just get on in Bako. But get this - because I'm not going to use the first portion of my trip I can turn in that ticket for a refund of $9.10. So my net cost is $4.90.
My meeting was over at 3:30 and my bus would leave at 4:20. So I left my car at work and Layne dropped me off at the train station. This is great.
About 4:00 they make an announcement that the train has been delayed 1 hour and the bus can't leave until the train comes in. Isn't that just my luck?
So here I am - on the Amtrak bus making my way to the Burbank airport -- just minutes from the kids' apartment. My 4:20 bus left at 5:35.
I will say that except for the delay this is very nice. I just received an ipod nano as incentive at work and my wonderful husband loaded it with music he thought I'd like and I'm convinced he knows me well! And apparently trains aren't normally delayed - but this one hit somebody in Turlock. I suppose that's a good excuse for a delay. Better late then never - grammy's almost there, Ave!

1 comment:

Nancy said...

I'm so glad you found a way to go! Now, did Grammy arrive with the princess dress??